Monday, October 15, 2012

Week 3: The Spy-Glass of Anthropology






Week Three: 

The Spy-Glass of Anthropology

How are Historical Exclusions Remember? 
How are Cultural Connections Remember?

For the full lecture (and PDF) go to blackboard

 


   "...It was only when I was off in college, away from my native surroundings, that I could see myself like somebody else ad stand off and look at my garment. Then I had to have the spy-glass of Anthropology to look through at that."


Zora Neale Huston
Mules and Men

The Politics of Ethnography: 

Who writes Culture?



PART I. 

THE POWER OF NARRATION: 

WHO FRAMES HISTORY? 

WHO IS FRAMED BY HISTORY?

 

"Oh, is that the Question"?:  

 Clip of Angela Davis from the  

Black Power Mix Tapes


To see the extended segment of Democracy Now
For More information:

 

Gangsta Rap Made Me Do ItIce Cube


[Chorus 3]

If I sell a little crack ain’t nothing to it gangsta rap made me do it

If I die in Iraq ain’t nothing to it gangsta rap made me do it

If I take you for granted ain’t nothing to it gangsta rap made me do it

If I f*ck up the planet ain’t nothing to it gangsta rap made me do it


Part II. 

Reading for Hurston: 

Listening for Silences, resistance




THIS WEEK'S READING:

Zora Neal Hurston's

Mules and Men

 
Suggested Video







"Research is formalized curiosity. It is poking and prying with a purpose. It is a seeking that he who wishes may know the cosmic secrets of the world and they that dwell therein." 
-Zora Neale Hurston
Dust Tracks on a Road, An Autobiography


 WHOSE HISTORY?

 COMPARE

 AND CONTRAST?








No comments:

Post a Comment